Neck pain can be very debilitating. It can make it hard to sleep and difficult to focus. However treating neck pain can be as easy as just taking a hot shower, or rolling your head from side to side. Here are a few treatment options that are easy, natural and won’t interfere dramatically with your day to day life like prescription medication or surgery would.
- De-stress your life. A lot of people carry tension from stress in their necks which can cause recurring pain. Put on some soothing music, take deep breaths, or go to a yoga class. Approaching a stressful situation a bit more calmly can help prevent pain in your future.
- Get a massage. Along with being extremely relaxing, getting a massage can help release tension in stressed muscles providing instant pain relief. It also stimulates blood flow which provides nutrients and oxygen to areas that need it most.
- Do some stretches. Try putting your chin down and rolling your head from side to side. Or do complete circles. Even rotating your shoulders forward and backward can help relieve painful tension in your neck. Combining these activities with a hot shower can provide maximum pain relief.
- Invest in a cervical pillow. This can help provide you with the ideal spinal positioning while you sleep. You can also sleep on your side in the fetal position to achieve the most natural spinal alignment. Above all, avoid sleeping on more than one pillow. That throws your head out of alignment and can cause pain if you stay in that position for a long time.
- Try a heating pad. The heat relaxes tension away and increases blood flow in your neck. If your pain is severe or regular, you may want to look into getting an infrared heating pad. The Healthy Back Institute offers a variety of infrared heating pads whose heat penetrates much more deeply into tense muscles than a traditional heating pad. This technology offers much more long lasting relief than a typical heating pad.
- Watch your posture. Being aware that you’re slouching is the first step in improving your posture. Your spine should maintain its natural “S” shape as consistently as possible. If you spend a lot of time sitting, it’s easy to hunch over, and extend your head over your spine. This can easily cause pain. If you do spend a lot of time sitting, you may want to consider getting a cushion for your chair to help you sit up straight. While most cushions cater to low back support, they all help you sit up straight and keep your entire spine in proper alignment. The Healthy Back Institute has a wide variety of cushions to help you keep your head aligned and prevent neck pain.
The Healthy Back Institute specializes in natural ways to go about treating neck pain. For more information on neck pain, and ways you can be free of it now, visit The Healthy Back Institute at losethebackpain.com today!
Written By: Updated: July 12,2011