Back pain is more than just a minor problem. In fact, back pain is more like an epidemic. People from all over the planet, from all races, are faced with severe back pain. It is one of the leading causes of missed work, depression and accrued medical expenses.
So, is it true that something so serious could be prevented by just following a few simple tips?
The answer is YES!
I have to follow that up with a small disclaimer. Not all cases of back pain can be prevented. If you have been in an accident and trauma is responsible for your pain, the following tips wouldn’t have helped. Having said that, a large number or people suffer from unnecessary back pain. Even if you are already experiencing pain, the following tips can still help you. In fact, the below tips for a healthy back and spine will not only help you live pain free, they can also help you live a healthier and happier life.
Tips for a Healthy Back and Spine
1. Drink More Water – Your body needs water. In fact, you couldn’t live long without it. The discs in your back also need water. Whether or not you need 8 glasses is up for debate, but if you are like most of us, you are not getting enough.
2. Stay Active – Think about it, we are either sleeping or sitting for nearly 16 or more hours per day. If you sit at a desk all day or drive for a living you need to get up and take breaks as often as you can. Sitting for too long causes muscles to become tight and weak, ultimately resulting in pain.
3. Sleep Well – Though the amount of sleep needed varies from person to person, we all need sleep. Lack of quality sleep can lead to mood swings, lack of energy and numerous other health related problems.
4. Stretch, Stretch and Stretch Some More – If the last time you stretched was back in high school, you really need to pay attention to this one. Stretching is one of the fastest ways to eliminate back pain, sciatica, neck pain and more. If you go to the videos section of our website, you will see simple stretching videos that you can do from the comfort of your own home, with no equipment.
5. Eat Well – This one is a real shocker, I know. But did you know that eating poorly does more than pack on the extra pounds. Certain foods actually contribute to inflammation (pain) in the body. It is time to start taking a serious look at what you are putting in your body.
6. Invert – Lying upside down, even just slightly, can be extremely beneficial to your back, spine and overall health. Some of these benefits include:
- Decompression of the Spine
- Improved Blood Flow and Circulation
- Relaxation and Stress Relief
- Eliminates Back Pain and Sciatica
We hope you enjoyed our top 6 tips for a healthy back and spine. If you would like to learn more about back pain relief, use the links on top to find the information you are looking for.
Written By: Updated: July 12,2011